Thursday, September 25, 2008

An emergency at the border.

So on Tuesday I went to the border and as the boat came back from Macao, I had the kids stand next to me as I filled out a departure/arrival card for re-entry into China. I remember people were getting into line and waiting. I realised all the sound left the room and I started to feel weak and dizzy. I put my head down on my arm and told my son Jr. to get the border control officer over and help me. He went over to the lady and told her "My mom needs help". She came over and asked me if I was alright. I told her I was a Diabetic and I needed some sugar, orange juice, or something to eat. And I collapsed on the floor, I couldn't get up. Several border control officers came over to help me. One gave me sugar water and another gave me candy, while another got a snack cake for me to eat. A doctor came to look over me and he checked my blood pressure and took my pulse. I saw many people staring at me from the lines and a security guard took my picture and took pictures of the kids.

This is the first time in a year. The last time this happened was a month after Siobhan was born in June last year. I was with my mother in law in Taiwan getting visa extentions on my youngest two boys. And like back then I was thirsty, but I felt alright while smoking a cigarette and As I was standing in line I lost my sight and hearing. Getting confused and dizzy, shaking and having trouble breathing. I start to panic, scratching my face, trying to talk so someone can help me, but I can barely speak, my voice almost a whisper. My head hurts as I tried to keep it up, seeing spots as I do. Pain running through my head like I was beat.

I am worried about my kids who are standing there worried about me and asking questions in Chinese while answering questions to the border control officers. Next I worry about the passports. We had departed China and were about to re-enter, but we were not cleared on arrival, because of my sugar drop.

The border control officers were surprised by my kids fluent Chinese, translating for me. After 15 minutes I was well enough to continue through the line and go home. I called my husband and told him what happened and he told me it was because I was vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian for two years and my sugars have dropped like this only twice. I feel it has nothing to do with my diet or what I eat. If it was because of my diet, why does this not happen more often?

After I got home I was tired, but I still had to go to the market to buy vegetables for dinner. I walked down to my office and asked my boss for $100 RMB or $12 USD and went to get the food and bread, and picked up some toilet paper on my way home.
I like this green tea soy milk drink. I get it every time I go to the bakery.
My husband called me to buy some meat, and grudgingly I went and bought a JIN of pork, for him for dinner. I felt sick having to hold it, and the money after the butcher gave me the change, there was blood on it, on the bag; the meat was inside.
I wrote about the meat market in another blog, you can take a look.

When I got home, dinner was cooked and we ate. Fried Choy Sum and carrots, onions, white melon, and potatoes with spicy black bean sauce. Then I was off to write this blog. Now that I am done, it's time to take a shower and get ready for bed I have to go to work.

0 comments: