Saturday, December 6, 2008

Living in LA part 1.

So on Thursday, November 20Th, at 8:00 Am my kids and I arrived at LAX from GuangZhou, China on a repatriation loan due to my husbands twisted mentality and abuse. I just could not take it anymore. I spent the last 2 years trying to get out of China and away from him. His drinking and yelling and whoring around was making me go crazy.
Anyways, we got to the airport and everything was ok. As we picked up our luggage and put it onto a cart and started to leave a woman called my name over and we went to see her. Her name was Michelle, she had a friend with her named Mary,and she told me that her friend was going to be my social worker. So they took me out to catch a cab to go to the airport and try to settle down.
As we got to the airport I was given $1,000 in cash and a 2 inch thick stack of papers and told to get some rest first and then call all the numbers on the papers.

Well I guess they forgot the fact that I am from NY originally and not from LA and the fact that I have never had to take the bus or train for that matter. I stayed in the hotel for a week and then got kicked out.
Now why would I say that? you ask. Well on Monday my check out day I told the front desk I was going to get money to pay for another week. They said "Ok we will let your stuff stay in the room".
Well I spent all day from 8:00 Am till 3:00 Pm At the GAIN offices trying to get emergency homeless assistance. I only had the money given to me, but I know it wont last. Well I got the hotel vouchers and went back to the hotel and they told me I had to pack up and go. I asked them why when they told me I could stay earlier in the morning. The told me it was their policy.
Well then I went a different route and decided to ask for another room. They told me they had no more rooms left because they were booked for the rest of the week. I sat there confused and I called Mary my social worker and asked her what I could do. And then in walked a woman and she went up to the desk, I started to laugh to myself (mean, I know) She asked if they had any rooms open and they asked her if she wanted a smoking or non-smoking. She said non and then signed the slip the desk clerk handed to her then gave them money and her ID and they gave her back her ID and a room key. I was floored. I could not believe it, she did not have a reservation and they gave her a room not even 10 minutes after telling me they were booked. I have 4 kids and no place to go.
Well tell you what, if you ever go to LA do not stay at the Travelodge Inn on the corners of 5547 West Century Blvd and Aviation. They are a bunch of cruel bastards. I had money and hotel vouchers.

I had Mary call me back and I had to carry all my stuff down the road to the Motel6. Have you ever seen a woman with 4 kids carrying all that on her own about a mile down the street? I am a lot stronger than I look. I was carrying over 100 LBs and trying to keep control of 4 kids aged 8,7,5, and 4. Not an easy task.
Well we checked in and I got everything back on track, every one showered and into bed by 11 Pm.

The next day we went to the GAIN office and sat there again and they told me to fill out a bunch of papers and wait till my name was called. I was there at 8:00Am and they did not call my name till 3:00Pm. They gave me some cash assistance and an EBT card and sent me on my way for the holidays. I hope yours was good. I had to buy new shoes for my older two sons and food. I found a small mexican place that took the EBT card and we had some great food. Now being homless and poor, I started to eat eggs and Cheese again. Because if you go to a soup kitchen and put your nose up at all the meat and eggs and pasta they serve, you will most certainly go hungry.
I can not believe there are no places for vegetarians or vegans to go when faced with this situation. It's impossible to hold to your beliefs when you are hungry, so please don't harp on me. I am trying the best I can.
I learned there was an express trolly that goes to El Sugundo (did I spell that right?) Well they have good shopping and a whole foods store and "The VeggieGrill" I swear they have awsome food. OK!OK!OK! I splurged $38 there for dinner. And bought a pair of shoes for my daughter. Then we went home again. (My kids loved going there and ask me to go again)

Well the day came for us to leave Motel6 and I called the Alexandria House, A shelter for women and children. The put us into a Small motel, And Aparently they have really crappy wireless internet, I could not connect, they wanted me to use their internet room which was a desktop computer on top of a box in a cleaning closet. Then they yelled at me for taking my kids with me. Yeah! right! I really want my kids to be taken away from me because you want to be a bunch of cheap assholes. So here is another recommendation. DO NOT stay at the Hollywood Inn Express South At 141 N Alverado street. Especially if you use wireless, and have kids and no one to watch them.

I found out there are three things in this world you can not be.
1. A woman
2. Poor
3. Be a single parent
And to be all three is like a curse. There is no hope to beat that. People will always look down on a poor single woman with kids. And it will not matter if you have 1 kid or 4 kids from the same father. You are treated like a disease.

0 comments: